Sir Georg Solti, one of the greatest conductos of our day, died on Septmber 5, 1997. The definitive profile Solti: The making of a Maestro, made during the last year of his life, captures the amazing energy and passion for music of this remarkable man. Filmed with Solti in Budapest, Bavaria, Chicago and London, the documentary charts his exceptional musical journey; from his early years in Hungary to his acclaimed leadership of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Solti was a most energetic conductor in both rehearsal and performance, with a frequently sharp and stabbing conducting style. At the same time he was also capable of producing the most beautiful legato playing. No Solti recording is without some point of interest: his stature as one of the most outstanding conductors of the twentieth century is fully confirmed through this legacy.
- Documentary: Solti: The making of a Maestro
A film by Peter Maniura
- Ludwig van Beethoven, Symphony No. 1 in C major
Recorded live at the Royal Albert Hall, London, September 5, 1978
- Franz Schubert, Symphony No. 6 in C major
- Franz Schubert, Symphony No. 8 in B minor, "Unfinished"
Recorded live at Orchestra Hall, Chicago, December 5-6, 1979
Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Sir Georg Solti (conductor)
Bonus: Introduction to Schubert's Symphonies No. 6 & 8 by Sir Georg Solti
- Dmitri Shostakovich, Symphony No. 9 in E-flat major
- Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74 "Pathétique"
Recorded live at the Gasteig Philharmonie Hall, Munich 1990
Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, Sir Georg Solti (conductor)